Ten Statistics To Change Your View On Service Excellence
It still surprises me how many people need convincing that improving the Customer Experience will generate revenue and save costs. Here’s my top ten statistics from reputable sources that prove just how integral providing excellent customer service is to building and maintaining your business.
1. Price is not the main reason for customer churn, it is actually due to the overall poor quality of customer service – Accenture global customer satisfaction report 2008.
2. A customer is 4 times more likely to defect to a competitor if the problem is service-related than price or product-related – Bain & Company.
3. The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 – 70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20% – Marketing Metrics.
4. For every customer complaint there are 26 other unhappy customers who have remained silent –Lee Resource.
5. A 2% increase in customer retention has the same effect as decreasing costs by 10% – Leading on the Edge of Chaos, Emmet Murphy & Mark Murphy.
6. 96% of unhappy customers don’t complain, however 91% of those will simply leave and never come back – 1Financial Training services.
7. A dissatisfied customer will tell between 9-15 people about their experience. Around 13% of dissatisfied customers tell more than 20 people. – White House Office of Consumer Affairs.
8. Happy customers who get their issue resolved tell about 4-6 people about their experience. – White House Office of Consumer Affairs.
9. 70% of buying experiences are based on how the customer feels they are being treated – McKinsey.
10. 55% of customers would pay extra to guarantee a better service – Defaqto research.